This is just appraisal based on my experience not an officially mention by Fortinet, Fortinet has improve their OS with many feature besides some of their features that were reduced on FortiOS 5.0
1. New console-interface with more contents and feature. And also more IPS signature and Antivirus database updates.
2. Add new features which I think some of them were great improvement on FortiOS 5.0 such as:
– Endpoint client control used for “BYOD”, which can control and monitoring endpoint device with firewall policies and antivirus using FortiClient
– FortiOS web caching now caches Windows/MS-Office software updates
– New HA mode: Fortinet redundant UTM protocol (FRUP)
– New SSL VPN Improvements: SSL VPN user groups no longer required, Support SSL VPN push configuration of DNS suffix.
– FortiAP local bridging (Private Cloud-Managed AP). Which can provide WIFI access to a LAN even when the wireless controller is located remotely, WIFI Single Sign ON (SSO), Wireless client load balancing, and Bring your FortiGate box as WIFI controller.
3. Add new UTM features
– Improved list editing on security policy
– New Advanced Persistent Threat features including botnet protection, phising protection, and zero-day threat protection using FortiGuard Analytics for sandboxing
4. Log viewer and reporting improvements
– Fortigate UTM security analysis report
5. IPv6 support improvements
– New features on IPv6: IPv6 Policy Route, IPv6 explicit web proxy, IPv6 NAT (NAT64, DNS64, and NAT66), DHCPv6 relay.
– New FortiGate IPv6 MIB fields
1. Some features was removed or replaced such as traditional DoS Policy, Syslog-server log and reporting feature,etc
2. Sometime show up HTTP error when click on console menus, may be this is bugs on FortiOS 5.0 hope that Fortinet fix this issue on the next patch
3. More features on configuration was hide and must activate using CLI such as log and reporting
4. Still explore….. 😀